Not Just a Librarian: How Libraries Transform Our Schools
*Page contains affiliate links. Actions taken may result in commissions for Renovated Learning
The world is changing at a breakneck pace. The way our students learn is evolving, our pedagogy and spaces are shifting. In this ever-changing world, our school libraries are in a position to spark transformation in our schools. We have the power to equip our students with the skills they need to thrive. You are not “just” a librarian – you are a powerful, transformative presence, an agent of change within your school. We’ll look at ways that our libraries can promote inquiry, be inclusive of all our students, promote collaboration, curate resources, encourage exploration and engage our stakeholders.
My book that I co-wrote along with Colleen and Aaron Graves.
In this book, we go into depth about how to create a maker culture within your school, develop an interactive learning space and more. We discuss the logistics of hosting maker workshops, creating design challenge prompts and documenting the learning process.
In my book, Reimagining Library Spaces, I breakdown a practical process for rethinking and redesigning a library space, no matter where your budget is at. Each chapter includes action steps and connections to the ISTE standards. The book also includes examples of four different reimagined library spaces.
- Teaching the Design Process in Makerspaces
- K’nex Club and Digital Learning Day
- Written Conversation Strategies and MakerEd
- How to Run a Super Circuit Bracelet Workshop
- GLSEN – Resources for supporting LGBTQ+ students
- We Need Diverse Books
- Own Voices
- How to Create Conversation Zones to Support Learning Styles
- The Stewart-Lamar Catapult Challenge
- A Student Designed Maker Cart (School Library Journal)
- 3 Ways Whiteboards Can Make Your Space More Awesome
- Building Curriculum Connections into Makerspaces
- The Stewart Makerspace Journey
- My Makerspace Resources Page
- The Epic LEGO Wall: How to Build One – tutorial for building a LEGO wall
- LEGO Wall Round-up – Examples of a variety of LEGO walls created by other educators
- How to Create an Awesome Whiteboard Wall – tutorial on how to use dry-erase paint to create a whiteboard wall
- Small Steps to a Makerspace: Maker Mondays (AASL Knowledge Quest)
- 6 Ways to Rethink Your Library Space and Make it Amazing
- Frank Lloyd Wright: Blocks, Play and Makerspaces
- How to Weed by the Numbers and Clean Up Your Collection (AASL Knowledge Quest)
- Tiffany Whitehead’s blog, Mighty Little Librarian (look for links in the sidebar for resources on Ditching Dewey and genrefication)
- 3 Reasons to Rethink Your Reference Section
- Genrefication: How to Organize Your Fiction Section by Genre
- The 2016 Stewart Maker Fair
- The 2015 Stewart Maker Fair
- Sharing Your Awesome: Why We Need to Move Past the Discomfort
- Read this Book: Show Your Work!
- How to Create a Physical Instagram Display (AASL Knowledge Quest)